Friday, April 16, 2010

A place to start

And what could be a lovelier place than this?


I visited my grandmother today, a truly amazing, five-foot-tall woman who has three things of major note: a moustache, a memory that rivals your local encylopedia, and a sense of humour made of pure caste iron. She is the kind of grandmother who always has a big dish of lollies on her table. She is the kind of grandmother who has been in the Salvation Army since before she was born and can curl your nosehairs with godly discipline. She is also the kind of grandmother who collapses into adorable fits of giggles whenever I mention the strippers I'm hiring for her 90th birthday party this year.

Today, over a cup of sweet Earl Grey, she gave me these beautiful, humble ramekins. They were given to her mother and father on their wedding day, almost a century ago, and her mother gave them to her just before she died; and now she has given them to me. She said it was because I was the only one who would appreciate them. She is so right! These were everyday dishes to my great-grandmother, but to me they are exquisite works of art - the curves, the colours, the scratches. My mind goes to happy, wandering places when I think of all the meals these have seen over the last 95 years, and the path that led them in to my hands. Oh, she always knows how to get to me!

My grandmother is a dollface. I can't wait to cook something sweet in these.




xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment